Platelet rich plasma and Microneedling with PRP.
PLATELET RICH PLASMA INJECTIONS
Do you know your skin contains reserves of plumping and tightening substances like fatty deposits, collagen, and hyaluronic acid to give your skin elasticity, volume, and smooth texture? Dark circles, the hollowness of eyes, wrinkles, and marionette lines are the consequences of aging. However, loss of skin’s elasticity and tightness can also be the result of genetics, smoking, and other lifestyle changes.
Many aesthetic practices have revolutionized facial rejuvenation and other cosmetic treatment options. One of the huge hits among beauty lovers that have gained momentum to give your skin a more youthful appearance is Platelet Rich Plasma Injections and PRP with Microneedling.
First endorsed by many internet sensations like Bar Rafaeli and Kim Kardashian, PRP treatment takes your skin to the next level by using your skin’s own healing properties to make you look perfect.
This article explains everything about PRP injections and PRP with Microneedling, their benefits, how they are done, and what skin areas they can treat. So, let’s get started.
What Is Platelet Rich Plasma?
PRP injections have become the most popular “go-to” treatment for skin-savvy people. What makes PRP so effective is the healing properties of platelet-rich plasma that encourages the renewal of substances that diminish with age.
Just as white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets, plasma is an important component of your blood. Platelets are known to stimulate collagen production, repair tissues, and regenerate new cells because of the presence of growth factors in them. These growth factors include transforming growth factor (TGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) 1.
The concentrated mixture of blood plasma that is involved in the coagulation process and speeds up the wound healing process is called Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). PRP can be used as an injection or in combination with other cosmetic treatments to heal different skin problems caused by pollution, sun exposure, etc. 2.
What Are PRP Injections?
One of the non-surgical, aesthetic processes that rejuvenate your skin by kick-starting the collagen production in the skin is PRP therapy. PRP injections are mostly used for these purposes by using your own blood. As PRP injections use your own blood, there is no risk of any adverse reaction or allergy.
For PRP injections, a small amount of blood is drawn from your vein and spun in a centrifuge to separate platelet-rich plasma from other components of the blood. After separating PRP, it is injected under the skin surface to achieve desired results 3.
The reparative properties of PRP injections make them effective in combating the signs of aging and rejuvenating your face.
Right after the administration of PRP injections into the face, healing growth factors result in:
- Wrinkles improvement
- Neovascularization (production of new vessels)
- Stimulation of collagen production
- Improvement in skin volume
- Dermal thickening
PRP Post Microneedling:
Collagen induction therapy, also known as microneedling, is a minimally invasive procedure that boosts the natural healing properties of the skin by making micro tears through fine needles. These fine needles are contained in a Skin Pen that is glided over your skin to make minor injuries. These injuries then trigger collagen production.
The results of microneedling are quite effective and can further be improved by PRP. Platelets present in plasma are applied to the skin after microneedling.
You will notice a youthful radiance in your skin by receiving 4-6 sessions of PRP after microneedling because both these procedures work synergistically to optimize facial rejuvenation and maintain collagen 5.
What’s The Process Like?
After the application of the anesthetic to your face, the practitioner uses a SkinPen, having needles on it to glide over your skin. After making minor skin injuries, the extracted PRP will be applied to your skin.
After the treatment, the practitioner will apply some balm or ointment to prevent irritation and redness. The procedure only takes one to two hours to treat your skin 6.
What Facial Concerns Do PRP Injections And PRP Post Microneedling Treat?
Both these procedures treat the following facial concerns:
- Acne Scars: PRP has grabbed the attention of many aesthetic practices because of their incredible use in reducing acne scars due to acne breakouts. The face areas where acne has sustained damage in the skin are treated with PRP injections. PRP injections trigger the production of elastin and collagen by increasing the number of platelets. Collagen adds a boost to your skin cells to heal naturally, reducing the appearance of scars
- Marionette Lines: Marionette lines are the fine lines or wrinkles of the mouth starting from the corner of the mouth and running down to the chin. With age, these lines become more visible. PRP injections not only prompt collagen production but also boost tissue healing and regeneration. PRP improves the appearance of marionette lines and restores overall facial volume
- Tear Troughs: Loss of volume and aging can be the result of tear troughs forming at the corner of the eyes, next to the nose. Tear troughs can make you look older than your age because they cause hollowness around your eyes. Both PRP injections and microneedling with PRP can restore the volume in this area. Pigmentary issues of tear troughs, such as dark shadows, discoloration, and hollowness around the eyes, are significantly reduced with the help of PRP injections, making you look more radiant and refreshed
- Nasolabial Folds: Nasolabial folds are the fine lines between your lips and mouth that become deeper as you age. Deep nasolabial folds make you look older than your age. PRP injections refill the thickness of the skin in the nasolabial groove and soften nasolabial lines
What To Expect After The Treatment?
Talking about PRP post microneedling, this non-invasive procedure causes only redness and itching in your skin that diminishes after applying balm or lotion. You should avoid frequent touching immediately after the procedure.
You can also alleviate the pain by placing an icepack on the skin. To calm the skin, your skin care specialist can also prescribe Tylenol.
The microneedling with PRP treatment starts showing its incredible results within two to three months after treatment.
You will observe evenness and radiance on your skin from platelet-rich plasma (PRP). People with acne scarring and blemishes need repeated treatments for optimal results.
The results of PRP injections last for up to 2 years with no side effects because PRP therapy uses your own blood. The procedure is overall safe with no or minimum downtime.
Benefits of PRP Post Microneedling And PRP Injections:
PRP therapy is very helpful for treating many skin conditions, like acne scarring, age spots, blemishes, wrinkles, tear troughs, and uneven complexion. Here are some incredible benefits of PRP therapy that you may not know about:
- Reduced Wrinkles And Fine Lines:
A common reason why people are queuing up to go for a PRP treatment is the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles due to aging. PRP injections boost the production of collagen and other proteins that support your skin and reduce the appearance of deeper folds that form fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lasting Results:
PRP injections retain the radiance of your skin for one or two years. Unlike other anti-aging treatment options that only last for a few weeks, you can achieve your facial rejuvenation with just a few PRP treatments. If you have hyperpigmentation or Keloid scars, you will only need 4-5 sessions of microneedling enhanced by PRP and achieve results for a longer time
- It is Safe:
PRP injections come up with no side effects. If you’re going for PRP post microneedling, you’ll notice only swelling, redness, or mild pain in the treated area. Otherwise, the procedure is completely safe because it uses your own blood. Extremely sensitive areas are first given anesthetic before the treatment to avoid any pain or discomfort. Post-treatment pain and swelling can be mitigated by taking aspirin or applying the balm, respectively.
- No Downtime:
Some aesthetic treatments have a prolonged downtime. For example, they can cause redness for one to two weeks. PRP injections and microneedling with PRP come with minimal or no downtime. You can even go to your work right after the treatment
- Plumped and Tight Skin:
As your skin becomes saggy and thin with age, it becomes difficult for you to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. PRP injections rebuild collagen production and make your skin tighter and firmer. So, achieve your ideal aesthetic with PRP injections.
- Improved Tone and Texture:
You can benefit from microneedling with PRP or PRP injections if you have uneven skin texture, hyperpigmentation, scars from traumatic injury, acne scars, or stretch marks. PRP harnesses the natural healing ability of your skin to make new cells by shedding off dead skin cells. Just one to three sessions of PRP, and you’ll get amazed by the astonishing improvement in your skin tone and texture
Whether you have obvious marionette lines, nasolabial lines, or tear troughs, one of the best and most suitable options for reducing their appearance is the non-surgical PRP therapy that includes PRP injections or PRP post microneedling. PRP therapy leaves look youthful and refreshed and slows down the aging process by boosting collagen production.
- Rejuvenate with PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma. Maffi Clinicshttps://mafficlinics.com/2018/10/rejuvenate-with-prp/ (2018).
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PRP EYE REJUVENATION? The Mack Cosmetic Centerhttps://mackmd.com/plastic-surgery/benefits-of-prp-eye-rejuvenation/ (2016).
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) for Tear Troughs and Eye Bags Treatment. https://eyelifts.com/prp/.
- Platelet Rich Plasma PRP Injections. The Aesthetic Cliniquehttps://theclinique.com/cosmetic-services/by-treatment-type/cs-prp-treatments/platelet-rich-plasma-prp-injections/.
- Microneedling with PRP Overview: Cost, Recovery, Before & After | AEDIT. com | Aesthetic Edithttps://aedit.com/procedure/microneedling-with-prp.
- Microneedling with PRP: Benefits, side effects, and more. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327381 (2019).
- PRP Injection For Acne Scars | Bentley Skincare and Wellness. Bentley Skincare & Wellnesshttps://bentleyskincare.com/how-can-you-fix-acne-scars-or-stretch-marks-5-amazing-uses-for-prp-treatment/ (2020).
- Treatments for Marionette Lines San Francisco | Nasolabial Folds SF |. https://www.drgailhumble.com/treatments-marionette-lines/.
- PRP Injections for Tear Troughs. DC Derm Docshttps://dc-dermdocs.com/prp-injections-for-tear-troughs/ (2018).
- What can PRP Treatment do for Nasolabial Folds. https://www.prptreatments.org/what-can-prp-treatment-do-for-nasolabial-folds/.
- Amazing Benefits of PRP Facial Rejuvenation | ALC Medspa Gurnee. Gurnee | ALC Medspahttps://gurneemedispa.com/amazing-natural-skin-experience-the-unreal-advantage-of-a-prp-facial/ (2019).
- PRP Fillers | Natural Rejuvenating Skin Treatment. https://newhorizonsmedspa.com/prp-fillers/.
- PRP Skin Rejuvenation: Platelet Rich Plasma Skin Treatment for Wrinkles @Kaya. https://www.kaya.in/anti-ageing/prp-skin-rejuvenation-treatment.